Job Title - RN Surgical Services
**Must have Operating Room experience
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
1. Provides nursing care utilizing the nursing process through all phases of surgical procedures.
2. Collaborates with all members of the surgical team for the benefit of the patient.
3. Demonstrates clinical competence in surgical skills and a superior sterile conscience.
4. Rotates to all areas in surgical services as census changes and to accommodate patient needs.
5. Promotes the efficient use of hospital resources and ensures proper supplies and equipment are accessible at all times.
6. Accurately documents all patient care in the medical records.
7. Maintains patient confidentiality at all times, discussing patient or hospital business only when appropriate and necessary to provide quality patient care.
8. Applies AIDETS and promotes positive communication and relationships. Employs tact and courtesy at all times, with patients, physicians, visitors, and co-workers. Continually strives to establish and maintain good rapport and working relationships to foster positive intra and interdepartmental communications.
9. Observes hospital and department policies and procedures and safety rules
10. Reviews and updates policies annually.
11. Ensures all mandatory educationally requirements are current without lapse.
1. Regularly attends department and unit staff meetings.
2. Promotes positive communication and relationships within the unit, with Medical staff and with other hospital departments.
3. Maintains a clean, safe and orderly environment.
4. Assists Nurse Manager with Performance Improvement projects, Capital and Minor Budget planning and implementation.
5. Serves as mentor and orients new employees as requested.
6. Actively participates in the HRRMC Organizational Strategic plan.
Supervises the surgical services technician and clerk. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
BSN strongly preferred. Minimum of an Associate’s Degree (ADN) from an accredited nursing program. Minimum of one year in area of specialty or acute care.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to communicate effectively with patients, physicians and employees of the Medical Center.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
This position may require special skills listed below: Must be able to adjust to:
1. Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
2. Emergency or crisis situations
3. Must be able to accept call.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must maintain current, active license as a Registered Nurse in the State of Colorado. Must maintain current CPR certification.
Must maintain current ACLS certification. Must maintain current PALS or PEARS.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee is occasionally required to walk or sit, and must be able to smell in order to detect changes in odors. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision for reading medical records, monitors and other equipment; distance vision to be able to observe patients, monitors across the room; color vision to observe patient for changes, color of fluids; peripheral vision to function in emergency situations involving many staff members; and ability to adjust focus while looking from patient to other areas.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and cleaning agents, must work near moving mechanical parts. Employee is in contact with patients under a wide variety of circumstances. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate; it is directly affected by the types of surgical equipment and devices being used.
HAZARDS to which this position may be exposed are listed below:
Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases, blood, body fluids and tissues; regularly exposed to infections and contagious diseases; regularly exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, fumes and airborne particles, and common cleaning agents, i.e. CIDEX.
Maintains patient, employee, and hospital confidentiality at all times, discussing patient, employee, or hospital business only with appropriate parties who have a bona fide need to know; and communicating only the minimum amount of information necessary with respect to protected health information (PHI) as identified by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).