1. Possess expertise in the theory and application of sterile and aseptic technique and combines the knowledge of human anatomy, surgical procedures, and implementation of tools and technologies in performance of invasive therapeutic and diagnostic procedures. Functions with working knowledge of AORN standards.
2. Maintains and checks all items for proper packaging, processing, moisture, seal and packaging integrity, sterile indicator if present, and expiration dates. Ensures that the operating room environment is safe, that equipment functions properly and the operative procedure is conducted under conditions that maximize patient safety.
3. Monitors sterile field for events that may contaminate, interfere, or alter field and initiates or notifies of need for corrective action.
4. Monitors, evaluates and revises preference cards and knows the order in use of material and supplies.
5. Maintains flexibility while contributing to the individualized, ongoing delivery of care within the scope of practice.
6. Models effective, timely communication with the perioperative team with full participation in Time Out Process to include Briefings and Debriefings.
7. Assists team in patient transports, room turnovers, and room preparation.
8. Models professional behavior to include maintaining currency in new technologies and procedures, including instrumentation and equipment.
9. Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization.
10. Role models the principles of a Just Culture.
11. Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.