- Fulltime Operating Room Nurse
A clinically competent Registered Nurse (RN) who is a professional member of the surgical team within the organizational structure of the Surgical Services Department. All Operating Room Registered Nurses are expected to maintain proficiency in planning, organizing, directing, executing and evaluating all aspects of patient care within the surgical setting with additional proficiency expectations in the surgical technologist, pre-operative, and P.A.C.U. roles dependant upon areas of expertise, years of experience, and staffing needs. The RN facilitates patient care and the OR schedule to ensure on-time case starts and efficient case turnover, coordinates supply, instrument, and equipment needs, and provides clinical expertise. Professional nursing staff are expected to attain knowledge and competency that reflects current nursing practice following professional practice standards and guidelines, relevent statutues, rules and regulations. All RN's are expected to complete training, education, and orientation to new procedures and processes within the department and throughout the organization. Nurses function collaboratively with patients, families, and others in the conduct of nursing practice and are able to integrate ethical provision in all areas of practice. Nurses consider factors related to safety, effectiveness, cost and impact on practice in the planning and delivery of nursing services at Gunnison Valley Hospital.
Education: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
Experience: One or more years of O.R. nursing experience preferred.
Licenses: RN licensed in the State of Colorado, or compact license.
Certifications: Requires current BLS certification, ACLS within the first year and maintained thereafter. Applicant may complete PALS after hire at the discretion of the Director of Surgical Services. CNOR is preferred.
- Quality – completes work with accuracy and thoroughness.
- Productivity – efficiently utilizes time in accomplishing work.
- Reliability – completes tasks assigned; follow up as needed.
- Availability – meets attendance standards; is punctual; works when needed.
- Decision Making – displays sound judgment; works with minimal supervision
- Initiative – seeks out productive duties in absence of guidance; is a self starter.
- Demonstrates professional communication skills with co-workers, physicians, other staff members, patients and patients' families. Communicates, consults, and interacts with team members to share pertinent information in a clear, concise and tactful manner.
- Cross trains and floats to other areas of the Surgical Services Department as required (Must demonstrate proficiency and have completed competency check off for each area scheduled. Example: Pre-op/PACU, Scrub role, Central Sterile, etc.)
- Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy; respects patient’s individual rights.
- Provides age specific nursing care to all age populations.
- Provides culturally specific care to diverse cultural populations.
- Adheres to policy – follows all Surgical Services, PACU and facility wide policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Acts within circulating nurse role for all specialties in order to maintain skills.
- Provides patient safety in the OR at all times.
- Prepares for assignements/surgical cases beforehand. Utilizes surgeon specific preference sheets. Updates preference sheets as needed.
- Verifies patient identity and operative procedure according to policy.
- Anticipates and provides cost effective equipment/supplies based on patient needs; assures equipment and supplies are functional prior to use; operates equipment according to manufacturer’s instructions; verifies availability of supplies and equipment prior to each procedure.
- Notes the condition and integrity of the patient’s skin. Document any abnormalities, injuries, rashes, lesions, scars, and/or previous surgery.
- Reports deviations in diagnostic studies such as lab values, radiology, and EKG reports.
- Identifies the presence/absence of internal and external prosthetic devices, implants, etc.
- Notes any sensory impairment (hearing, visual, tactile, etc.)
- Notes nutritional status of patient, NPO status; actual body weight.
- Verifies and documents an allergy in an appropriate manner.
- Documents unusual/abnormal findings on nursing documentation; notifies physician and CRNA as indicated
- Conducts sponge, sharps, and instrument counts according to policy.
- Demonstrates accuracy in preparation and administration of medications according to policy.
- Ensures safe transfer technique; selects appropriate personnel for safe transfer and transport; assists with transfers and positioning as indicated or requested.
- Ensures correct patient positioning with consideration of age, size and physiologic factors. Uses positioning devices correctly. Applies proper principles of patient body alignment.
- Works within a sterile field; maintains sterility of items opened; discards contaminated materials immediately.
- Ensures the highest standard of sterile technique used during surgical procedures. Adheres to AORN standards for aseptic technique and initiates appropriate action when break occurs. Applies knowledge of infection control. Demonstrates surgical conscience at all times within the operating room.
- Performs peri-operative skin prep according to policy.
- Assists anesthesia as needed. Knowledgeable of anesthetic agents, techniques, actions, interactions, intra-operative medications and reversal agents.
- Performs or participates a time out for each patient according to policy.
- Handles specimens according to policy.
- Collaborates with all members of the health care team to plan, implement, and evaluate patient’s status and treatment plan. Uses approved SBAR format for all caregiver to caregiver patient handoffs.
- Completes all appropriate OR charges at the end of each shift.
- Performs or assists with cleaning and turnaround of operating rooms according to policy in a safe and timely manner.
- Reports broken or malfunctioning equipment to the appropriate personnel and completes the appropriate paperwork/documentation as needed.
- Properly completes the initial interview, medication reconciliation, anesthesia protocols, and patient education as required by policy.
- Knowledgeable of anesthetic agents, techniques, actions, interactions, intraoperative medications and reversal agents.
- Assists with orientation and training of new personnel
- Asks questions, seeks out sources of information, demonstrates motivation in continuing education and strengthening his or her own circulator skills.
- Demonstrates ability to perform effectively in stressful situations.
- Demonstrates proficiency in computer charting.
- Participates in the completion of the daily check list at the end of each shift.
- Completes competency check offs by assigned deadlines.
- Completes monthly cleaning assignments by deadlines.
- Able to function independently on call.
- Adheres to policy Attire in the Operating Room and wears name badge.
- Completes patient care activities during the assigned shift; effectively organizes work schedule and personal time; willingly assists other staff; as needed, works extra time necessary to meet patient needs; demonstrates ability to adjust to department census/acuity level. Willingly accepts new, temporary, and special assignments.
- Demonstrates awareness of personal accountability and compliance with Joint Commission and performance improvement standards.
- Demonstrates leadership skills as evidenced by team management, effective communication and delegation.
- Participates in process improvement and consistently offers solution based input into improving nursing practice.
- Promptly reports all variances in care and safety issues in Risk Web.
- Effectively communicates any concerns to supervisor and uses chain of command to address issues.
- Attends departmental staff meetings, and 100% of any mandatory meetings/trainings. If unable to attend a departmental staff meeting the minutes must be reviewed and initialed during the next available shift.
- Participates in drills and emergency response training
- May be called in for GVH disaster response.
- Other duties as assigned.