- Fulltime Family Birthing Center Nurse Manager
Ensures that quality care is consistently provided to all patients in the nursery, labor and delivery and postpartum
units. Provides direct care to patients in the nursery, labor and delivery and postpartum units.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These functions are considered essential functions for one or more of the following reasons:
1. The performance of this function is the reason that the job exists.
2. There are limited employees among whom the performance of this function can be distributed.
3. This function occupies a great deal of the employee’s time.
4. This function is highly specialized. Employees are hired for the skill/ability to perform this function.
5. Failure to perform this function may have serious consequences.
Nothing in this job description restricts HRRMC’s ability to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and
responsibilities of this job at any time. HRRMC does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Critical features
of this job have been described; those features may be changed at any time due to reasonable accommodation or
other reasons deemed appropriate by HRRMC. Other duties may be assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provides direction and supervises staff in:
1. Caring for newborn and maternity patients, utilizing the nursing process.
2. Transcribing and completing all physician orders.
3. Promoting wellness through patient education.
4. Ensuring that proper supplies and equipment are accessible at all times.
5. Assisting staff with emergencies in other nursing units when possible.
6. Establishing communication and positive, collaborative relationships within the unit, with other nursing units,
and with other hospital departments.
7. Proactively solving problems affecting patient care and staff relationships.
8. Ensuring the efficient use of all hospital resources.
9. Employing tact and courtesy at all times, with patients, physicians, visitors and co-workers. Continually
strives to establish and maintain good rapport and working relationships to foster positive intra- and
10. Observing hospital and department policies, procedures and guidelines.
11. Following hospital and department safety rules.
12. Actively participates in the HRRMC Organizational Strategic plan and the departmental strategic plan.
1. Regularly attends nursing management meetings.
2. Confers with Medical director about maternity issues, assists with agenda for OB committee meetings.
3. Participates with the VP of Nursing in recruiting and dismissing staff as requested.
4. Establishes a meaningful performance improvement program for the unit.
5. Schedules OB and nursery staff.
6. Assists the VP of Nursing as requested.
7. Conducts regular unit meetings.
8. Attends hospital committee meetings as assigned.
Directly supervises approximately fifteen PRN, part-time and full-time employees. Carries out supervisory
responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include
interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance;
rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum of a Bachelors s Degree (BSN) from an accredited nursing program. Minimum of three years
experience in labor and delivery, nursery and postpartum. One year supervisory or managerial experience
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or
governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to
communicate effectively with patients, visitors, physicians and employees of the Medical Center.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area,
circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
This position may require special skills listed below:
Must be able to adjust to:
1. Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
2. Emergency or crisis situations
3. Be subjected to long, irregular hours on occasion
4. Handling absentee replacement or high census demands on short notice.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an
extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Maintain current, active license as a Registered Nurse in the State of Colorado.
Maintain current BLS certification. If not already certified, must complete certification within 30 days of hire.
Maintain current ACLS certification. If not already certified, must complete certification within 60 days of hire.
Maintain current Neonatal Resuscitation certification. If not already certified, must complete certification at the
next available training date.
Maintain current PEARS certification. If not already certified, must complete certification within 60 days of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully
perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel
and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or
crouch. The employee is occasionally required to walk or sit, and must be able to smell in order to detect changes
in odors. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by
this job include close vision for reading medical records, monitors and other equipment; distance vision to be able
to observe patients, monitors across the room; color vision to observe patient for changes, color of fluids;
peripheral vision to function in emergency situations involving many staff members; and ability to adjust focus
while looking from patient to other areas.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and
cleaning agents must work near moving mechanical parts. Employee is in contact with patients under a wide
variety of circumstances. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
HAZARDS to which this position may be exposed are listed below:
Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases, blood, body fluids, and tissues; regularly exposed to
infections and contagious diseases; regularly exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, fumes, and airborne particles,
and common cleaning agents.
Maintains patient, employee, and hospital confidentiality at all times, discussing patient, employee, or hospital
business only with appropriate parties who have a bona fide need to know, and communicating only the minimum
amount of information necessary with respect to protected health information (PHI) as identified by the Health
Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).